Obesity in pets can cause severe health complications. It’s important to monitor your pet’s weight and make sure it is getting the proper nutrition and diet. At Sand Creek Animal Hospital in Albany, NY, we can help. At our facility, we offer a pet weight management program that can help pet owners learn how to regulate their pet’s weight.
Proper Pet Nutrition and Weight
Our pet weight management program will benefit you and your pet. Our experts will determine if you and your part should participate in the program. We can help your pet obtain a healthier lifestyle by teaching you how to regulate food, treats, and exercise. Here are some of the basics about pet weight management.
- Don't base your pet’s weight on how it looks. Looks do not always determine whether an animal is a healthy weight or not.
- Understand that there is more to weight loss than dieting. If your pet needs to lose some weight, the overall approach to this endeavor may include not only caloric restriction, but also behavior modification and exercise.
- Understand how important nutrition is. Our veterinarian can come up with a diet plan that makes sure that your animal gets all of the nutrition that is necessary, as this is very important for him or her to be able to thrive.
- Know that weight management is long-term. Our veterinarian will assess and record the weight of your pet in order to help him or her stay on track at each age of his or her life.
- Weight it is individual. Our veterinarian is going to consider the lifestyle, breed and species, metabolism, feeding schedule, and environment of your pet in order to create a weight management plan.
- Reward your pet's good behavior with interaction. It is a good idea to do this rather than give him or her too many treats. Play and praise are also great rewards.
- Understand the importance of home management for weight control. It is really up to you to keep your pet as fit and healthy as possible, as your pets are not able to get food for themselves. The effort will be very worthwhile and will likely strengthen your bond with your animal.
Our weight management consultant is very experienced in this area. We will create individualized programs for each pet. Throughout the program, you and your pet will learn and adjust to a new, healthier lifestyle. Our goal is to enable you to care for your pet’s weight on your own. It is important to stick with our program, as creating new habits takes time. We want your pet to live a long, healthy, and happy life.
Start Your Pet’s Weight Management Program
Keeping your pet at the proper weight is vital in keeping it healthy. At Sand Creek Animal Hospital in Albany, NY, we can help you. Our pet weight management program will teach you everything you need to know about keeping your pet healthy. We will work with you and your pet individually to help your animal lead a healthy lifestyle. We are happy to answer any questions you have. To learn more or to schedule an appointment, call us today.